Bob McKenzie's Top 50 Free Agent List Jan 24, 2018 16:00:17 GMT -5 Bolts/Stars GM, Edmonton Oilers GM, and 1 more like this
Post by Bob McKenzie - TSN on Jan 24, 2018 16:00:17 GMT -5
Welcome to Bob's first ever Top 50 Free Agent List. This year, with the raise in the salary cap and the addition of the compliance buy-out, teams are rapidly turning to free agency to add pieces. There is clearly value to be added this offseason and some lucky teams will walk away with talent. And one thing we know for certain, bad contracts will be signed come July 1st.
Here's TSN countdown for our Top 50 Unrestricted Free Agents for the upcoming 2022-2023 season.
Bob McKenzie's Top 50 Free Agent List
The Top Ten
1. LW Johnny Gaudreau 90 SNP (28)
Calgary Flames: 82 19-36-55 -10
With Calgary taking a significant step back this season, Johnny hockey decided it was time to move on. He wants to be the missing piece of a franchise in order for them to take the next step, but he expects to be paid.
2. C Alex Galchnyuk 88 PLY (28)
Montreal Canadiens: 82 16-47-63 +17
Now this one is a bit surprising. Galchenyuk led the Canadiens to the President's Trophy this year and won a cup with them back in Season 2. We wouldn't be surprised if he re-upped with Montreal, but it seems like he wants to see what's out there now.
3. LW Sven Baertschi 88 SNP (29)
Winnipeg Jets: 82 8-35-43 -9
With Kamenev now in Winnipeg, Baertschi took a back seat this past season. He's hoping to find chemistry in another team's top 6. With Winnipeg missing the playoffs for the first time, expect Baertschi to look to join a contender again.
4. C Rickard Rakell 88 PLY (28)
Edmonton Oilers: 82 19-35-54 -1
Upset with his playing time at C in Edmonton, Rakell wants a top 6 C role somewhere else. He just wants to get back to his natural position once again. With Rakell coming off a cheap 3.800 M contract, expect for him to look for as much money as possible with a secure C role.
5. RD Adam Boqvist (81-87) OFD (22)
Brynas: 52 32-55-87 +30
Well it's official, Boqvist is heading to the NHL. Where? Well, we'll see. We don't know much about his personality, other than his offensive flair (if that counts). Scouts still aren't sure if his dynamic game will translate to the North American style, but expect Boqvist to potentially be the most sought after free agent this year.
6. RW Filip Zadina (83-85) TWF (22)
HC Dynamo Pardubice: 49 33-39-72 +44
Here comes Filip. The big two-way forward has a chance to become a force in someone's top 6 moving forward. Zadina believes he's a top 6 forward already and will be looking for a chance to prove that this year. Scouts are unsure if he is now, but they don't doubt that this kid will be moving forward.
7. LD Jake Gardiner 87 TWD (31)
Calgary Flames: 52 11-8-19 -11
Gardiner had a injury riddled season that plagued him throughout most of the year. He hopes to move on and play a top 3 role somewhere else.
8. C William Karlsson 86 PLY (29)
Manitoba Moose: 54 20-77-97 +34
This guy was something else in the AHL last year. Some may call me crazy for having him this high, but it seems obvious that he's a top 6 forward in the NHL. He had some opportunity last year, but playing in a limited defensive role didn't help his cause. If a team gives him a chance, he should produce.
9. G Igor Shestyorkin (83-87) HYB (26)
SKA St. Petersburg: 50 42-5-3 1.97 .936
It was only a matter of time before Shestyorkin came over. The former Rangers draft pick waited until the Rangers lost his rights. Apparently, he didn't want to compete with Lundqvist for the net and was quite happy in Russian. Now he wants a chance at stardom. Scouts aren't sure if he'll be a starter or more of a 1A/1B, but Igor is full of confidence.
10. C Ryan O'Reilly 86 TWF (30)
Minnesota Wild: 42 13-17-30 +1
After being eventually being flipped to San Jose for his final year to be bought-out, O'Reilly finds himself in a position he's never been in before. With already banking on a ton of cash in the bank, look for O'Reilly to seek a deal with a Stanley Cup contender.
11. RD Brandon Montour 85 OFD (28)
12. LD Mark Giordano 87 TWD (38)
13. RW Phil Kessel 86 SNP (34)
14. LD Jaccob Slavin 85 TWD (28)
15. C Charlie Coyle 85 PWF (29)
16. LW Reid Boucher 85 SNP (28)
17. RD Anton Stralman 86 TWD (33)
18. C Nick Bjustad 85 TWF (29)
19. LD Karl Alzner 86 DFD (33)
20. RD Brent Burns 86 TWD (37)
21. G Pekka Rinne (84-88) HYB (39)
22. LW Jacob de la Rose 85 TWF (26)
23. LW Alex Formenton (82-85) TWF (23)
24. RW Joel Armia (82-86) PLY (28)
25. RD Erik Gudbranson 85 DFD (30)
26. LD Samuel Girard (82-85) OFD (23)
27. LD Markus Nutivaara (80-85) TWD (27)
28. LW Carl Hagelin 86 SNP (32)
29. C Danton Heinen (80-85) TWF (26)
30. G Ilya Sorokin (79-86) HYB (26)
31. LW Connor Sheary 85 PLY (29)
32. LD Brian Dumoulin 84 DFD (30)
33. LD Joel Edmundson 83 DFD (27)
34. LW Tobias Rieder 84 SNP (29)
35. RW Michael Frolik 86 TWF (34)
36. RW Brock Nelson 85 PWF (30)
37. C Adam Lowry 84 TWF (29)
38. G Petr Mrazek 84 HYB (30)
39. RW TJ Oshie 85 TWF (35)
40. RD Matt Niskanen 84 TWD (35)
41. RW Bobby Ryan 85 SNP (35)
42. D Vince Dunn (80-83) TWD (25)
43. C Jeff Carter 84 SNP (37)
44. LW Zach Parise 84 PLY (37)
45. LD Marc Staal 84 DFD (35)
46. RW Mats Zuccarrelo 84 PLY (34)
47. C Ryan Kesler 83 TWF (37)
48. C Cody Eakin 84 TWF (30)
49. RD Andrej Sustr 84 DFD (32)
50. G Tristan Jarry (79-84) HYB (26)